Wednesday 9 October 2013

LG G2 Weekly Theme - Performance and Battery

Greetings

As part of the LG Testpilot program, there’s an optional weekly focus, last week it was “Performance and Battery”. I’ve had to delay this post a little, in order to test the battery, and still I haven’t fully tested the battery in terms of (my) everyday standard use of a phone.
Well, anyway, let’s take a look at some benchmarking and the battery experiences.


Performance

So far my notes, in regard to the performance of the LG G2, is primarily based on benchmarking results (average of 3 tests).

AnTuTu 4: 35.178
Quadrant: 19.605
Real Pi: 1M digits = 10.16 sec.
Vellamo: 1.181 (Metal)
2.917 (HTML5)
3D Mark: 15.339 (Ice Storm Unlimited)


Bear in mind that benchmarking is “just” numbers, they showcase the potential raw powers of the phone, but can differ significantly from “real usage”. As an example benchmarking is little quick specified tests, whereas a game, (almost) any game, is a an continuous load that you might want to run for minutes, maybe even hours.
Should you be interested in the more detailed test-results, give me a heads up in the comments.

In terms of “real usage”, the games I have tested so far, all seems to run nice and smooth, they look really good! Honestly I’m quite impressed by the games that are now available on mobile devices, and how well, a phone as the LG G2 handles them.
The UI seems to run smooth and fast at all times, and I’ve visited, what must be, the worst Danish website (I truly hope there’s none worse), which I’ve never seen work this fluidly on an android device before.

Batteries not Included

Wow O.o It’s even better than expected.
Finally back to a phone with enough juice to last at least half a week, especially if you keep it down to the basics. Even with more than just “light basic use”, there’s no need to charge every night, or go into panic-mode when it half past midday and you’re down to 20% (of course dependent on how much of a frantic phone-addict you are, and how late you’ll get home).
Even for the more demanding user, this battery will  definitely get you through the day, without having to worry or even pay much attention to the battery level.

As I stated at the beginning of this post, I haven’t really had the opportunity to fully test the phone through a whole couple of my “normal, boring, standard days”. I have however tested the different smaller scenarios that my everyday consist of.
My day usually consist of checking emails and of course the weather, skimming through a few websites, listen to a little bit of music, a bit of simple gaming, write a couple of sms’, maybe a short call and track my very limited sports-endeavours - bicycling as a mean of transportation. With this limited use: no problems!



The great hero in this is the LG G2 effective sleep-mode. I haven’t been able to leave the phone alone for a whole day, but it seems to only lose 1% on the battery overnight. Following this pattern, it will only be losing a few percent a day if left lying - alone, cold and abandoned *sob* ;), in sleep-mode.

Okay, fine it has great battery performance, when not using the phone, which is of course nice, but how about when the phone is in use?
Tracking (GPS) my transportation times about 1 hour/16 km a day is roughly 2%, I can’t remember the “price” of this on the LG Optimus G, but it certainly wasn’t this low.
Surfing the web, emails, messaging and so on; barely worth mentioning - it’s really great!
I’ve been able to go a few days with light everyday use and making a bunch of benchmarking tests. I think what (finally) killed the battery was when I started gaming - “Minion Rush” (With a name like “Nitte von Evil” I’m bound to be a fan of Gru, right?!), seems to be quite hard on the battery - around 1% per “run” in the game.

Finally I had the battery down on 5%, at which point it gave me a warning. So, time to find the charger and plug it in. It only took about 1 hour and 45 minutes to fully charge the LG G2.
By next charge I’ll get my computer to assist in the process, something I often do when away from home. If you’re anything like me, you’ll always have a datacable with you, so in a pinch, this is a nice, yet slow, option.


I can also be found at
Google+
Youtube                 
                                                    
Wicked Regards
- Nitte von Evil


No comments:

Post a Comment